Forum Discussion

This post is in response to the toon below (click to enlarge)
Cartoon on giving smoking in film an R rating (February 13, 2007 2:56 PM)
Posted by: pcthug
Did this really happend?

Cartoon on giving smoking in film an R rating (February 13, 2007 4:32 PM)
Posted by: Steven McAllister
No, but a research group is asking Hollywood to do it voluntarily. Absolutely ridiculous: what's up with the public crusade against smoking anyway? I used to smoke, I learned about the health risks, and I stopped. Yay for me. If I wanted to keep smoking, yay for me too. I'm an ADULT. The researchers complain that the movies might encourage kids to light up, well, here's a thought: we have this thing called a LAW, you see, against selling cigarettes to kids. Seems to me that rather than censoring expression (smoking is a facet of our society and striking it from certain movies and stories irrevocably damages them) we should, I dunno, enforce the law we already have? And besides, when I was trying to quit, and cheating, my wife could smell it on me even when I tried to hide it, and gave me HOLY HELL about it. Am I to believe that parents lack my wife's incredible nose? More likely they just don't want a confrontation. If I caught my kids smoking, there would be no doubt left in their minds what I thought about it. This is just another case of people wanting the government to do their parenting for them so they can wuss out.
Cartoon on giving smoking in film an R rating (February 14, 2007 11:01 AM)
Posted by: Good Will
I concur. R rating for smoking??? What the hell is that.

Post a reply

Subject:

Email: Password:
Forgot your password?
Not registered?.