Forum Discussion

on NSA collecting massive database of Americans' phone calls (May 11, 2006 11:27 AM)
Posted by: Good Will
--snip--
The National Security Agency has been secretly collecting the phone call records of tens of millions of Americans, using data provided by AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth, people with direct knowledge of the arrangement told USA TODAY.

The NSA program reaches into homes and businesses across the nation by amassing information about the calls of ordinary Americans � most of whom aren't suspected of any crime. This program does not involve the NSA listening to or recording conversations. But the spy agency is using the data to analyze calling patterns in an effort to detect terrorist activity, sources said in separate interviews.
--snip--
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm

Surprizing there is AN ACTUAL LAW THAT FORBIDS this EXACT type of activity:

--snip
Under Section 222 of the Communications Act, first passed in 1934, telephone companies are prohibited from giving out information regarding their customers' calling habits: whom a person calls, how often and what routes those calls take to reach their final destination. Inbound calls, as well as wireless calls, also are covered....
--snip---

But Bush and you guys do not actually care about rule of law.
Rule of law only matters when it applied to "blue stained dresses", right?

And before anyone brings it up:
A President DOES NOT have a legal authority to sign an Executive order that dismisses a law.
Only Congress can change laws
And only judiciary can strike it down.
If you do not believe this, any high school class on "Government" can help you.

P.S.
Disaster of a "president"!!! Bush is why the Constitution was written.

on NSA collecting massive database of Americans' phone calls (May 12, 2006 1:12 AM)
Posted by: Invader Jim
Actually, that law would put the phone companies in violation, because it forbids the companies from providing your calling habits.

I'm pretty sure the law is to keep Sprint from selling your phone habits to some marketing company, not for the Government to find out who is calling al Qaeda.

This is called connecting the dots. Apparently the Democrats have no interest or stomach in doing such a no-brainer. So it reassures me knowing that we have a president who will be seriously fight the war on terror.

Since you complain endlessly about Bush spying on terrorists and finding out who they associate with, please tell me how you propose the government monitor terrorist communications and find out who they are talking to?
on NSA collecting massive database of Americans' phone calls (May 12, 2006 11:19 AM)
Posted by: Good Will
>Actually, that law would put the phone companies in violation, because it forbids the companies from providing your calling habits.

I know. But the fact that the Bush administration went to the companies and asked them to break the law show how little they care about laws or about people privacy and rights. More over, this actually makes them an accomplice to the crime.

>I'm pretty sure the law is to keep Sprint from selling your phone habits to some marketing company,
Um, the law says that the telcos are prohibitted from giving out the information unless thee is a court order. I do not care if its the governement or marketers. Interestingly, QWest, the only telco who refused Bush's request, told them that they shoudl get a FISA court order. The administration did not even try to do so and they actually left Qwest alone. which raises couple of interesting points.

A. It demostrates that BushCo is not THAT interested in catching terrorists. I mean they would not even go out and even TRY to get the a court order from a secret court. So it seems that do not care about potential terrorists who might use Qwest.

B. FISA court is secret enough that the argument of "well if we gone to them, they terrorists would have known we are spying on them" fly out the window. Setting aside the fact that terrorist are smart enough to think they can be spide upon and use code and encryption and etc....

>So it reassures me knowing that we have a president who will be seriously fight the war on terror.
Had he been serious he would have gone to court to get teh info from QWest.

>Since you complain endlessly about Bush spying on terrorists and finding out who they associate with, please tell me how you propose the government monitor terrorist communications and find out who they are talking to?
You see when you see a story like this you think the government monitors terrorist, where is I and pretty much the rest of the country (bushes polls hit 29% approval), realizes that Bush is a hungry power man. I've seen him lie and break laws enough to say that.

The right thinks its a blind hatered, but that not really true. I do not like Bush and the rest because I see what they are doing. I see them violate laws, I see them give tax breaks to rich while cutting student loans funding and environmental regulations on how much mercury there can be in water (dude!!!! mercury is nto a safe thing to drink). I see all that and think to myself, this is a lying, theiving man. And I refuse to be fooled by his word. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. He is slowly chipping away at our freedom.

More over let me point out that what NSA is all doing now is EXACTLY what KGB was doing in Russia. And what is still going in China. You might actually feel more comfortable movign there. Noone there question the governent right to wiretap and spy upon people....for .... long.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"
-- Thomas Jefferson.

Post a reply

Subject:

Email: Password:
Forgot your password?
Not registered?.