Forum Discussion

Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 8, 2006 9:02 PM)
Posted by: Steven McAllister
Well, as nasty as some of the arguments and debates get in here, I gotta give props to all of you for not murdering anyone or burning down any buildings when something Jim draws offends you. It's nice to see that as divided as we are as a nation, we're still talking and not throwing gasoline bombs.

Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 8, 2006 9:08 PM)
Posted by: Ben Sebaugh
I prefer campstove fuel.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 9, 2006 1:21 PM)
Posted by: Good Will
me man!!! me invent fire!!!
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 9, 2006 1:51 PM)
Posted by: Crazy Pete
Hey, were just trying to have some fun. At least I am. (Looks around for somebody to agrivate) What do you mean somethign that Jim draws offends me, I like Jimmy! (See Good Will? Not even Jim gets a break) (Jim, do you mind if I call you Jimmy? Or that too...Carter-ish?)

Hey, this nation has been divided since the beginning, why should things change now?
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 10, 2006 8:08 PM)
me dance around fire :)
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 11, 2006 12:14 PM)
Posted by: Ben Sebaugh
liberalism = nonsense
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 11, 2006 2:38 PM)
you make statement!!! you not back them up!!! arg!!! arg!!!
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 14, 2006 9:14 PM)
Posted by: Jim Huber
I didn't even like it when my parents called me Jimmy when I was in second grade.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 16, 2006 1:33 PM)
Okay, I'll call you Jim. BTW, your work is fabulous!! Gives a good laugh between classes.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 17, 2006 8:10 PM)
Posted by: Patricia Gruffs
"you make statement!!! you not back them up!!! arg!!! arg!!! "

LOL, after reading a lot of your comments on this blog (and believe me it was a drag) I think this comment personalizes you the most. You'd probably fit in real well with the rampaging middle east extremists.

"Good Will no like conservative ideas!! Good Will smash!"
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 18, 2006 4:41 PM)
smashie...smashie...
Should not you be copy and pasting generalizations that bunching millions of people into one category.

>You'd probably fit in real well with the rampaging middle east extremists.
Wooohoooo....we have the best villification so far. Saying that an American who does not agree with your conservative views is a bomb carying, suicidal terrorist. Channeling O'Leilly...errr, O'Reilly I see.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 18, 2006 7:34 PM)
"Should not you be copy and pasting generalizations "

If I could copy and paste that hilarious Mohammed picture(the one with a bomb as his head) to this site with the name "Good Will" across his turban, oh hell yeah, I'd be doing that, and it would be freaking funny in its sarcasm!!!

"Good Will feel offened!! Good Will say 'Vilify' as many times as he can!!!!"
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 19, 2006 5:09 PM)
>If I could copy and paste that hilarious Mohammed picture(the one with a bomb as his head) to this site with the name "Good Will" across his turban, oh hell yeah, I'd be doing that, and it would be freaking funny in its sarcasm!!!

Wonderful!! A little more villification and smear please. Oh I know. Now that you compared a fellow citizen to a terrorist, lets compare him to the devil!!! You can use the Salen witch hunt trials for that.

Step 1. Take an innocent person and tell everyone they flew in into your room at night and tried to curse with some demonic prayer.

Step 2. Shiver everytime they walk by claiming they are trying to possess you.

Step 3. Implicate other folks in this too because if they do not agree with you they must be smeared and villified too.

Step 4. Get the town to hang that person and others who did nto agree with you.

Step 5. Admit a week later that you lied about all of this.

My dear Patricia, you were born in the wrong time. Somewhere there is torch and a pitch fork just dying to be carried by you, while you chant "Death to the non believers".
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 19, 2006 6:32 PM)
"Now that you compared a fellow citizen to a terrorist, lets compare him to the devil!!!"

Funny, all these steps I've seen word for word on the Daily Kos and Democratic Underground about getting rid of Bush. I'm beginning to understand why TJ thought you were a sad little dog with nothing better to do obviously than whine and rail about belonging to the losing team. You only recently started using "vilification" as a term. Did it pop up on your "Daily English word" program?

Since the topic is threatening Cartoonists lives, picture if you will "Goot" will, sitting alone in the darkened basement room of his aged mother's home the soft glow of his PC monitor accenting his foaming lips and gnashing teeth, shrieking as spittle sprays the screen while he pounds on his keyboard..."WHY DO THEY KEEP MAKING FUN OF ME?!?!?! WHY?? WHY???<pant pant> HOW CAN I MAKE THEM AGREE WITH ME?? HOW?? I know!! I'll say Vilify again!!!"
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 19, 2006 9:31 PM)
Posted by: Anthony Zarrella
OK, OK, let's cut this off right here and now (note: I'm not even close to being a mod, so this is a request, not a threat).

Patricia, just because *some* liberal extremists (Kos, DU) use "vilification" tactics and insults doesn't mean that it makes it any less of a stupid idea for us conservatives to stoop to that level.

Good Will, as I said in another thread, I've found you to be a very rational and capaple debater - *when* you don't let yourself get baited into flame wars, which you do with disturbing regularity. You *do* tend to use the term "vilify" a lot, though I mark it off as just a verbal peculiarity or lack of a thesaurus, neither of which invalidates your point... *when* you use it appropriately to call out *real* "ad hominem" attacks (which is usually, but not always the case).

If you, Good Will, want to show how intelligently and lucidly Democrats and other liberals can make their points, and if you, Patricia, want to strike a similar blow for your fellow conservatives (like me), then please, both of you, commit to attacking arguments, not people, because otherwise you only sound childish and validate every negative stereotype of *both* parties.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 22, 2006 12:33 PM)
>Funny, all these steps I've seen word for word on the Daily Kos and Democratic Underground about getting rid of Bush.
Ya did? Link please :) And not a comment you just posted.

>Good Will, as I said in another thread, I've found you to be a very rational and capaple debater - *when* you don't let yourself get baited into flame wars, which you do with disturbing regularity.

Anthony, do nto worry about it. I happen to like debating. I will in fact debate anyone who is reasonable with pleasure and I am in fact open to listening to ideas.

As far as being baited is concerned, do nto worry about it. Ms. Patricia probably thinks I am sitting here foaming at the mouth, where as I am just mildly amused by what she is saying, and a bit more amused by my own response. None of that really stops me from reading what a reasonable opposite side debater would say and thinking out my arguments if I have any to present. Basically its two different types of fun :). Nor do I really care much about the flame comments past the point of when I finish typing. It might be a waste of energy, but at this point its more of a strectch exercise ;)

>You *do* tend to use the term "vilify" a lot, though I mark it off as just a verbal peculiarity or lack of a thesaurus, neither of which invalidates your point... *when* you use it appropriately to call out *real* "ad hominem" attacks (which is usually, but not always the case).
Thank you. I try to only pinpoint personal non-arguments with it. I am not saying I am infalible so I might be wrong here and there. As for teh word...I just happen to like it. Its easier to write than: "Sheenanigans"
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 22, 2006 12:59 PM)
Ah, OK, makes perfect sense :-p In case you ever just have the urge to mix it up a little, some possible synonyms: (nouns) "vitriol", "invective", "venom", "mudslinging", (adjectives) "vitriolic", "venomous", "mudslinging", "ad hominem", (verbs) "belittle", "spew [noun]", and one you probably won't like so much... "bork"

Enjoy <grin>
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 22, 2006 5:18 PM)
did not even know the expression untill now "ad hominem"
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 22, 2006 5:19 PM)
It's Latin... it literally means "to (or against) the man" and is used to describe an argument that tries to win by criticizing the opponent rather than addressing the issue.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 22, 2006 5:39 PM)
hard to rhyme though :-P
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 22, 2006 10:47 PM)
True :-D Hmm... .... "them" "Dem" "femme" "gem"
"hem" "REM" "pro tem"... that's all I can think of :-P
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 23, 2006 8:14 PM)
Anthony, you should be an English Teacher. (Its supposed to be my minor, but I have to admit, I am a Fragment, and run on sentence writer from hell! I'm a teachers worse nightmare when it comes to those two.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 23, 2006 10:03 PM)
Thanks... I've enjoyed reading for almost my entire life, so I guess that's what I have to credit for it.
Threatening Cartoonists' Lives (February 24, 2006 12:07 PM)
Em...whatchyamacallit...books...are nice :)

Post a reply

Subject:

Email: Password:
Forgot your password?
Not registered?.