Forum Discussion

on Soldier troubles (February 8, 2006 2:20 PM)
Posted by: Good Will
Hot off the presses: Army demanded $700 from city man who was wounded. Way to support our troops. Somewhere along there with not providing body armor.

---snip---
The last time 1st Lt. William �Eddie� Rebrook IV saw his body armor, he was lying on a stretcher in Iraq, his arm shattered and covered in blood.

A field medic tied a tourniquet around Rebrook�s right arm to stanch the bleeding from shrapnel wounds. Soldiers yanked off his blood-soaked body armor. He never saw it again.

But last week, Rebrook was forced to pay $700 for that body armor, blown up by a roadside bomb more than a year ago.
He was told to pay nearly $700 or face not being discharged for weeks, perhaps months.

Rebrook, 25, scrounged up the cash from his Army buddies and returned home to Charleston last Friday.
--snip--
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/News/2006020623?pt=0

on Soldier troubles (February 11, 2006 12:13 PM)
Posted by: Ben Sebaugh
I think you'd be hard up to find someone to argue that the Army is not a bureaucracy, but the last I heard congress was hearing about this and things were being changed. Bottom line - it is an outrage and Im glad to see that something is being done to correct the problem.
on Soldier troubles (February 11, 2006 2:35 PM)
Nothing is being done to correct this soldier's problem at all.
on Soldier troubles (February 16, 2006 1:05 AM)
Posted by: Steven McAllister
This sort of thing happens pretty often, and not just these days. My dad has a great story about a Vietnam buddy of his who was driving a tank between posts when he hit a mine. The tank was crippled, and the soldier had to hoof it to his destination. Everyone assumed the tank was destroyed, and the soldier served out the rest of his tour, and upon arriving home discovered that his commander has forgotten to list the tank as "destroyed by enemy forces." Since it was unnaccounted for, the Army used the standard procedure of docking the pay of the soldier who "misplaced" the equipment...several hundred grand! Fortunately they cleared it up. In this case, I'd bet the soldier in question didn't feel like waiting the time it would take to process through the red tape, and paid it off. The point is, this wasn't the administration's fault, it was just the sort of error that happens in a huge organization like the Army.
on Soldier troubles (February 16, 2006 11:44 AM)
It does nto make it any less sad or unjust.
on Soldier troubles (February 19, 2006 9:00 PM)
Posted by: Patricia Gruffs
"It does nto make it any less sad or unjust. "

No, it just makes it retarded that you blame a snafu in paperwork on the whole Bush administration, dumbass. Bureacracy happens no matter WHO's in office...what, do you want George standing over some little military secretary's desk okaying every f-cked up form that goes past her desk...that sounds more like something a Democrat would be doing.
on Soldier troubles (February 20, 2006 2:19 AM)
>No, it just makes it retarded that you blame a snafu in paperwork on the whole Bush administration
Did I ever even mention Bush?

>dumbass.
awwww....you think everyone is the same way as you are.
And showing that wit and tolerance.

>okaying every f-cked up form that goes past her desk...that sounds more like something a Democrat would be doing.
Really? Just Democrats screw up paper work? Or are we still waiting for all those warrants for all that wiretapping Bush ordered NSA to do. I am sure it got lost int he mail by big bad Democrats :)

You take a guy,
You vilify
94 unvilified guys on the wall.
on Soldier troubles (February 20, 2006 7:41 PM)
Posted by: Darrin Worthington
Update on the story:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/08/soldier.payment/

Rebrook got a medical discharge and is being fully reimbursed for the missing body armor he had to pay for.
on Soldier troubles (February 22, 2006 4:32 PM)
Goooood!!!! :) Glad to hear.
And I really hope they did not just do it because it was of teh publicity.

Post a reply

Subject:

Email: Password:
Forgot your password?
Not registered?.